Galloway Named Winner at Concerto Competition

The annual Concerto Competition took place at Marshall University’s Smith Recital Hall, giving students the opportunity to be judged on their musical talent.

Steven Trinkle, interim director of bands for Marshall University said the students have the opportunity to either perform with the wind symphony or the symphony orchestra depending on the year.

Each student performed individually for three outside judges including Joe Brown, trombonist at Ohio University, Richard Souk, marching band director at Ohio University and David Oyen, bassoon teacher at Morehead State University.

“Dedicate yourself to what you want to do, If it’s in art, music or any of the other arts, you really have to put time away and dedicate yourself to what you’re studying or want to do. If you do that, you’ll prosper.

— Robert Galloway

“You never know what to expect on these, but these students really played well,” said Trinkle. “They came loaded for bear.”

Six students competed this year for the opportunity to perform with the wind symphony. The six contestants included: Scott Nibert, clarinet; Robert Galloway, saxophone; Allison Kessing, flute; John Bruce, trombone; Thomas Kavender, trombone and a duet by Kevin Eason, trumpet, and Chris McConaha, trombone.
Robert Galloway, music education and jazz studies major and winner of the competition, will perform with the Marshall University Wind Symphony.

Galloway won the judges’ unanimous vote with his performance of “Tosca Fantasy” by Puccini.

“It’s really a great honor,” Galloway said. “The wind symphony is doing tremendous things.”

At a young age, Galloway began making music. He started playing saxophone in sixth grade and grew up in a family devoted to music.

Galloway will perform with the Marshall University wind symphony at 7:30 p.m. April 25 at Smith Recital Hall.

Mikaela Keener can be contacted at [email protected].