SGA votes on resolutions, swears in new senator

The following Student Government Association updates were taken from the announcements and decisions made as well as the events that occured, at the SGA student senate meeting that occurred Tuesday, Feb. 12.

Senate Resolutions:

—Senate Resolution 76.08 was approved.

This resolution is to create a program to allow students to recyle their graduation caps and gowns by donating them back to the university. 

—Senate Resolution 76.09 was approved.

This resolution is for the addition of a new safety precaution, possibly a cross walk, on Marshall University’s campus. 

—Senate Resolution 76.10 was approved.

This resolution is a call for old, tattered and faded Marshall University banners to be replaced when university funding permits it.

—Senate Resolution 76.11 was approved, with an amendment to be added.

This resolution deals with the limited amount of feminine waste bins in Marshall University’s bathrooms. The plan is to start off with a ratio of one waste bin for every three stalls. Each waste bin will be mounted on the wall and have a disposable liner for the safety of Marshall’s custodial staff. The amendment, proposed by Parliamentarian Jo Tremmel, requests a ratio of one waste bin for every 10 stalls in male bathrooms to meet the needs of transgender students. 

New Senator:

—New At-Large Sen. Kyle Powers was sworn in by student senate advisor Michelle Biggs.

Messages from the Executives:

—The TEDx application has been approved by the TED company, so there will be a TEDx event at Marshall this spring.

—During the House of Representatives meeting last week, over 25 students were certified in QPR certification for suicide prevention and awareness.

— Students will be able to have coffee with Huntington Mayor Steve Williams Tuesday, Feb. 19 from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the lobby of the Memorial Student Center.

Upcoming SGA Event:

—There will be an election filing information session on Friday, Feb. 15 at 2 p.m. in the Student Resources Center conference room. 

Jesten Richardson can be contacted at [email protected].