Comic Book Club fundraiser to help animal shelter

Marshall University’s Comic Book Club is sponsoring a pet food drive until Oct. 27, with all proceeds going to Little Victories Animal Rescue.

This is the club’s second food drive, but Hunter Reedy, the president and founder of the Comic Book Club, said due to pet food drives being uncommon, the club decided to focus on pets for this year’s.

“You don’t see pet food drives a lot,” Reedy said. “We figured it would be a unique thing, if we ask for pet food, people may bite at that.”

Reedy said the club is hoping to match its previous total of 60 donations this year. Reedy said the club chose to donate to Little Victories for multiple reasons.

“For one, it’s a no-kill shelter in the area,” Reedy said. “And secondly, it’s local. As [a Marshall] organization, we want to give back to the community.”

Reedy also said the Comic Book Club has donated to Cabell Huntington Hospital in the past as well.

Zelideth Rivas, faculty advisor for the Comic Book Club, said one of the key facets of the club is community service.

“When the students approached me two years ago, they had at their very core the idea of community service,” Rivas said. “They wanted to give back to the community through being ‘everyday superheroes.’”

Rivas said she was also onboard for the idea of a pet food drive, though it was not her first with the club.

“We tend to think of food insecurity as something that happens specifically toward people,” Rivas said. “We forget about our little friends.”

Rivas also said the Comic Book Club works with Marshall to open up new volunteer opportunities, and students wanting to help their community can assist the club with future events.

Students interested in donating food may take it to the Memorial Student Center any time before Saturday, Oct. 27, at 4 p.m. Everyone who donates will be automatically entered into a raffle for Scooby-Doo themed prizes. Oct. 27 the Comic Book Club will have a Halloween party in the Harless Media Room, where the raffle winner will be announced and any final donations will be accepted.

Sam Phillips can be contacted at [email protected].