MU Votes stresses importance of voting for Marshall students

With midterm elections on the horizon, MU Votes is working to inspire the importance of voting in Marshall University students across campus.

West Virginia’s midterm election is Nov. 6, but students may also to opt to vote early from Oct. 24 to Nov. 3.

Madison Parker, a senior double major in special education and political science, said she takes her position in MU Votes very seriously to increase voting among young West Virginians.

“I think it’s important that we as college students are empowered and realize that our voices matter,” Parker said. “The decisions that elected officials make directly impact our campus, so it’s very important for our voices to be heard.”

Parker and fellow MU Votes members Paige Looney and Jacob Redman have helped students register to vote over the past few weeks. They have visited classes to talk about the importance of voting, and they sponsored a Chicken Patty Night at late night dining in Twin Towers last week. MU Votes members said they are happy with the students they have helped to register, but the next step is getting those same students to the polls.

“Election Day is only one day,” Looney, a junior history and political science double major, said. “If we’re honest with ourselves, we’re busy people and voting may not be at the top of our list of priorities. That’s why you should vote early if you can and make a plan for Election Day so that it fits into your schedule.”

Marshall makes it convenient for students to vote early if they choose to do so. Polls are open from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 24 through Nov. 3 during the weekdays and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturdays. Voting can be done in Room 2w37 in the Memorial Student Center.

Redman, a senior political science major, said he wants his fellow students to know how important it is to show up to the polls.

“Every vote counts,” Redman said. “A vibrant democracy requires everyone’s participation.”

Professor George Davis of the Political Science Department said he is impressed with the initiative taken by MU Votes.

“They’ve gotten so many students registered, but the next stage is helping those students follow through,” Davis said. “College students have a big stake in this election, especially with state races. Our state-level representatives control appropriations, which tells us how much funding Marshall gets. This directly affects tuition increases and budget cuts, so this election should matter a lot to Marshall students.”

MU Votes is continuing their outreach with an Election Education event Oct. 25 featuring members of the political science faculty talking about the specifics of student voting, as well as emphasizing the importance of it.

“The importance of this election cannot be understated,” Redman said. “It will determine our future and what type of state and country we will live in for years to come.”

Hannah Graham can be contacted at graham155@marshall.edu.