H.E.L.P. program works for student success

Gretchen Kalar

Myers Hall, located on 18th Street, is home to the college Higher Education for Learning Problems Center, otherwise known as the H.E.L.P. program.

Marshall University’s Higher Education for Learning Problems program assists students with learning disabilities. The college H.E.L.P. program is a fee-based service that works with Marshall students diagnosed with a specific learning disability (SLD) and attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

Students in the program receive one-on-one academic tutoring from graduate assistant tutors, testing accommodations as guaranteed under the section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, time management organization from qualified learning specialists through their Skills Development Program and instruction and coaching in study skills.

Some students in the program said they had not heard of Marshall until researching the H.E.L.P. center, and the program attracts students from across the country.

“I heard about the H.E.L.P. Center just through doing research that everyone does when picking colleges,” Nick Uliana, of Pennsylvania, said. “Going to a school special for students with learning differences really helped with ‘thinning the herd’ on colleges that would fit me best.” 

Mike Andry, from Texas, said his parents had Marshall on the list of potential colleges.

“My mom and dad, in the summer of 2012, were looking for that would be able to help me out with my issues and still be successful in helping me make my dreams a reality,” Andry said. “I was previously hesitant to go to school out of state. I wasn’t thinking closely about Huntington and West Virginia at the time. Marshall wasn’t even close to my first choice and back then, but things changed when I gave it a chance, and the dominoes have fallen since.”

Uliana said the people are the best part of the H.E.L.P. Program.

“The people that work there are simply the best,” Uliana said. “They are accepting and they love their students for who they are. They work so hard to ensure the success of their students.”

Andry said he can see positive results from assistance he has received from the H.E.L.P. center.

“It had certainly helped me become better academically and socially,” Andry said. “While it is awesome that there are also other similar programs that exist at UCLA and Duke, for example, the program at Marshall is honestly the best.”

Uliana said there was a hidden gem in the H.E.L.P. program.

“Vinny Curry, Super Bowl Champion and current Tampa Bay Buccaneer, also Marshall football great, was a H.E.L.P. program alumni,” Uliana said. “So basically, we win Super Bowls.”

Gretchen Kalar can be reached by [email protected].