Basketball tournament to benefit Branches Domestic Violence Shelter

Marshall University’s Campus Activity Board will have its first ever Branch Out, Ball Out basketball tournament for students beginning at 10 a.m. in the Recreation Center Saturday. Students can create teams with up to eight members, and it costs $50 to enter the competition. All proceeds will be donated to the Branches Domestic Violence Shelter of Huntington.

Briana Murphy, public relations director for CAB, said various CAB members collaborated on the idea.

“We all worked together to make the event come to life,” Murphy, junior public relations major, said. “We are passionate about trying to do more charitable work through CAB.”

The tournament itself will consist of five-on-five games with teams playing for double elimination. The winning team will be rewarded with a basketball signed by Marshall’s basketball team and Coach D’Antoni and shirts for every member. Faculty and community members can make teams and apply to participate in the event as well.

“Participants decide who is on their team,” Murphy said. “They can register all the people they want on their team, and they create their own team.”

The event is open to the public, and CAB will raffle items such as a Marshall t-shirt, a Jon Elmore jersey, a Conference-USA hat and a Marshall basketball. Proceeds from the raffle will also be donated to the Branches Domestic Violence Shelter.

“I think it’s a great opportunity for students to come have some fun, all while helping a great cause,” Murphy said.

Those interested may register by emailing their team information to [email protected] but cannot pay until the day of the event, or by visiting CAB’s table in the Memorial Student Center and paying then. Registration ends Friday at noon.

Tickets for those interested in being in the audience cost $2 for one, $5 for three and $10 for seven.

Amanda Larch can be contacted at [email protected].