Women’s Center sponsoring diaper drive for expectant mothers

The Women’s Center is sponsoring a diaper drive for the Cabell County Community Baby Shower. The Community Baby Shower helps families and first time expectant mothers prepare for the responsibility of caring for their child.

Claire Snyder, program coordinator for the Women’s Center, said the event functions like a regular baby shower, but it offers education as well.

“It’s an event with food and games and gifts, but it’s to serve families in the community that might be lacking financial or social support,” Snyder said. “Everybody can use education around pregnancy, labor and delivery, infant care, infant safety and those kinds of things. We try to get lots of community organizations to table at the event, and we have educational presentations and lots of giveaways, little starter kits for every family that attends.”

The Alpha Phi Omega sorority collaborated with the Women’s Center and had a puppy kissing booth Monday to help raise additional funds for the Community Baby Shower.

Katie McNulty, president of the sorority, said Snyder approached her about being a sponsor, and it was McNulty’s idea for the puppy booth.

“Alpha Phi Omega is a national community service fraternity, and each active brother is required to come up with one project during the semester, so when Claire asked us to be a sponsor for the diaper drive, I wanted to come up with a fun way to raise money to buy diapers for it,” McNulty said. “I figured somehow incorporating dogs into this service project would be fun for all and a great stress reliever for students in the midst of midterms before spring break.”

Snyder said she hopes the event can help to empower women.
“Being able to afford diapers is actually really key to women’s empowerment as well,” Snyder said. “Because if you can’t provide your children with diapers, they can’t go to day care. So, you can’t really continue your education or your career and those kinds of things.”

The diaper drive is also a way to celebrate Women’s History Month, Snyder said.

“The Women’s Center has always tried to be very involved in connecting the campus to the community and getting students, faculty and staff involved in service,” Snyder said. “We talked about ways we could get involved especially during Women’s History Month and something that helps women in our community.”

Diaper donations will be accepted until the end of the month, and some other items will also be accepted. Drop-off locations include the Women’s Center, at the front desk of the Rec Center and in the student center by the entrance to the bookstore.

“The event serves 100 families, and so we would definitely like to be able to get a pack of diapers, some wipes and diaper cream for every single family that attends,” Snyder said. “For this event, we are not taking used items, just new items. Due to safety concerns, we’re not taking baby powder. There are concerns about if it’s not used properly, there are inhalation and breathing issues. It’s just not really recommended that home visiting services and places like that give out baby powder.”

The Cabell County Community Baby Shower will be from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. April 11 at the St. Mary’s Conference Center.

Amanda Larch can be contacted at [email protected].