Students to get a kick from one-night ‘Kinky Boots’ performance

Buffy Six, Reporter

Tony award-winning musical “Kinky Boots” is coming to the Keith Albee Theater Thursday as part of the Marshall Artists Series.

The musical is about a drag queen who comes to the rescue to a shoe factory owner whose inherited business is falling apart. Haley Lampart, who plays Nicola in the show, said it is a story about love and acceptance. Lampart can be recognized as Elle Woods from the musical “Legally Blonde.”

“(It’s) a heartfelt story that encourages (people) to truly express who they are every day and to accept everyone around them,” Lampart said. “And most importantly, the audience can expect a lot of glitter.”

The Harvey Fierstein book turned musical is accompanied with original music by Cyndi Lauper and is directed and choreographed by Jerry Mitchell.

The cast includes Jos N. Banks who plays Lola. Banks has appeared in several theater renditions of popular plays like “Hairspray,” “Dream Girls” and “The Color Purple.” His co-star Lance Bordelon, who plays Charlie Price, has also performed in big name performances such as “Fiddler on the Roof,” “Les Misérables” and “Singing in the Rain.”

Lampart said one of her favorite moments in the show is the finale.

“By the end of the number, the audience is often clapping along and even standing at their seats dancing along with us, which makes it feel like we are in an actual rock concert,” Lampart said.

Students can pick up one free ticket per student I.D. during the Marshall Artists Series box office hours. The show starts at 7:30 p.m.

Buffy Six can be contacted at [email protected].