Herd roll past Old Dominion Monarchs for homecoming victory

Brigham Warf, For The Parthenon

The Thundering Herd rolled past the Old Dominion Monarchs during Saturday’s homecoming matchup, securing a win with a final score of 35-3.

“Anytime you can play great defense, special teams and not turn the ball over on offense we’re happy with the outcome,” head coach Doc Holliday said. “During the second half our guys ran the ball well and did what we are capable of doing.”

In the win, Kaare Vedvik set a new school record. He had the longest punt in Herd history as he booted a 92-yard rocket to the opposite end zone. Vedvik helped the Herd in the win by pinning the Monarchs on many occasions deep in its end zone and broke some other records while doing so. He set the new Conference USA record for longest punt and the seventh longest punt in college football history.

“I try that every time,” Vedvik said, “I try to hit my best ball every time and that one happened to be a good ball. The ball went over his head and then the tail wind helped the ball roll down to the other goal line. You can’t ask for anything much better than that.”

The defense had another rock solid night as they only allowed 81 yards rushing and 116 yards passing and held the Monarchs scoreless in the second half. Chase Hancock led the team in tackles with 10 total and was often the anchor of the defense. However, when the Monarchs were in position to score deep in Marshall’s red zone just before the half, it was senior C.J Reavis who stepped up for the defense and made an interception.

“Against Cincinnati, the refs said I didn’t get my hands under the ball, so this time I made sure to just use my hands,” Reavis said.

During the second half, the Herd’s offense came together. Tyler King helped spark the offense in the half with an explosive 30-yard touchdown that extended the lead to 14-3.

“Shout out to my offensive line. Chase switched the play to a run and the offensive line picked it up. It was open from the side and I just hit and ran,” Tyler King said.

Chase Litton finished the game with 176 yards and three throwing touchdowns. Tyre Brady accounted for two of the touchdowns Litton threw for. The initial touchdown was the first score of the game, made off a back shoulder pass, and the other was a 46-yard bomb where Brady walked into the end zone, resulting in a score of 21-3. Yurachek also hauled in a touchdown from Litton, his fourth of the season.

​“I just have find ways to help my team,” King said. “Sometimes I have to take the double team for someone else to have a better matchup. The two touchdowns were just one on one and Chase threw great passes. When the defense is playing great ball like they did tonight, we want to be held to the same standard. We just try to go out there and execute.”

​The Herd improved to 5-1 overall and are still undefeated in conference play with two victories.

​Marshall will play another conference game when they take on the 3-3 Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders at 7 p.m. Friday at Floyd Stadium.

Brigham Warf can be contacted at [email protected].