Super Day reading event to continue for second year on campus

Rebecca Turnbull

Spring Valley High School student Gabe Yeoman reads to children attending last year’s Super Day in the Marshall Recreation Center.

Sarah Ingram, for The Parthenon

The second annual Super Day to celebrate reading with students from Cabell and Wayne counties will take place Friday, Sept. 29 at the Marshall Recreation Center.

Students will enjoy a day filled with games, characters from West Virginia Public Broadcasting System children’s shows, Marshall’s basketball team and much more to recognize the importance of reading.

Teresa Eagle, College of Education dean, said the day will be a collaboration with the public school system, the West Virginia Public Broadcasting System, and anyone else who wishes to help make it a great day for the students.

What started last year to celebrate President Gilbert’s investiture has turned into a celebration of reading for students all over the county.

During Super Day, students ranging from kindergarten to grade 12 from Cabell and Wayne County schools will be participating in reading or reading activities with Marshall representatives.

In the morning, students will come to campus and explore reading in the recreation center. In the afternoon, students and faculty from Marshall will go out and read to classrooms in both counties for those students that were not able to attend.

Each year, a new power of reading will be celebrated. This year, the focus is on the power of vocabulary. The activities conducted and books read will relate to vocabulary and its importance.

Super Day Coordinator Mindy Backus said she hopes more people will be able to get involved in the coming years, since there has not been enough room in the event for some schools to be able to participate.

“[Schools] are fighting to send people…so I try to divide it up fairly,” Backus said.

Last year, roughly 900 people from Cabell and Wayne Counties participated.

With last year being such a success, Backus said she has no doubt that this year will be even better.

“The kids just love it. The teachers love it. It’s just such a great day for everybody,” Backus said.

The title “Super” is an acronym that stands for “Students Using their Powers to Engage in Reading.”

Sarah Ingram can be contacted at [email protected].