SNL cast member comes to Keith-Albee

Photo taken from the event Facebook Page.

Buffy Six, Reporter

Comedian Leslie Jones takes to the Keith Albee stage Sept. 20 at 7:30 p.m., courtesy of the Marshall Artists Series and Marshall University Student Activities.

Jones has been a cast member and writer of Saturday Night Live since 2014. SNL won two Emmy’s during the 69th Primetime Emmy Awards out of 22 nominations Sept. 17.

Jones was nominated for Best Supporting Actress in Comedy for her work with SNL, but was beat out by co-star Kate McKinnon. Vanessa Bayer from SNL was also nominated.

Jones recently celebrated her 50th birthday Sept. 7. When she first joined the SNL cast in 2014, she became the oldest cast member at the age of 47. She also changed the show’s history by marking the inclusion of more than one African-American woman. It also made the most African-American cast members to date.

Jones has also worked in the film industry, most recently in 2016, in the female recreation of “Ghostbusters.” Before that, Jones made appearances in “Trainwreck” and Chris Rock’s directing debut in 2014 with “Top Five.” In 2016, Jones also dabbled in voice acting as the mother of Meena the elephant in the animated movie “Sing.”

Jones is known for her raunchy-style of stand-up comedy in observational humor and African-American culture. Jones has experienced social media backlash for her taste in comedy, but it hasn’t stopped her from reaching the top.

Buffy Six can be contacted at [email protected].