Herd defeats Kent State Flashes, 21-0

Brigham Warf, For The Parthenon

Richard Crank

The Marshall Thundering Herd football team defeated the Kent State Golden Flashes with a final score of 21-0 last night at Joan C. Edwards stadium.

The last time Marshall’s defense pitched a shut-out was its home opener last year against Morgan State, that resulted in a final score of 62-0.

“Sometimes you have to grind the game out and find a way to win,” head coach Doc Holiday said. “I thought the defense was tremendous. Number one, that offense was extremely hard to prepare for. Coach Chuck Heater and the whole defensive staff deserve a lot of credit.  The way they were able to shut that offense down was good to see.”

The Herd’s first points of the game came late in the second quarter when junior wide receiver Marcel Williams caught a pass from quarterback Chase Litton in the back of the end zone with six seconds left on the clock before half.

“Litton is starting to understand when to run and when to pass,” Holliday said. “He’s checking to his second and third reads and doing what we are asking him to do as a football player.”

Freshman Tyler King led the way for Marshall on the ground. He averaged seven yards per carry and recorded 105 yards and one touchdown. He sealed the deal with a 29-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter to go up 21-0.

“It felt great,” King said. “After being away from football for over a year, and then being able to come out and have a game like that makes me appreciate the whole Marshall coaching staff for giving me this opportunity. I give all the credit to my offensive line, quarterback and receivers.”

Litton finished the game with 223 yards, one passing touchdown, one interception and one rushing touchdown. In the fourth quarter when Litton was pressured in the pocket, he escaped pressure and scrambled for a 14-yard touchdown.

“We knew that we had to step up and make a play,” Litton said. “I had a seam and I just went in there and made a play for my team.”

Defensive back Chris Jackson added another interception to his resume, as he picked off Kent State quarterback George Bollas in the third quarter.

“Coming into the game, we knew they didn’t pass a lot, but coach said we have to keep our eyes out for trick plays,” Jackson said.  “We were in zone coverage, and I saw number two go vertical, and I saw the quarterback pull it in, and I just had to go get it.”

The Thundering Herd move to 2-1 in the season and will have a bye week next week. The team will be back in action against the Cincinnati Bearcats on Sept. 30.

Brigham Warf can be contacted at [email protected].