Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc hosts week of events

Marshall University’s Epsilon Delta Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Incorporated hosted a week full of events in honor of their fraternity April 10 through April 14 on Marshall’s campus.

Kappa Alpha Psi packed the week with informative, educational and recreational events that it opened to all students and staff, as well as the greater Huntington community.

Derek L. Robinson, graduate student at Marshall studying health informatics and current advisor for the Epsilon Delta Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Incorporated, was proud to share the history of his brotherhood, as well as have fun events for Marshall’s students.

“Thanks to our charter members that brought this organization to Marshall back on Dec. 2, 1962, we are able to be present and live out the legacy of Kappa Alpha Psi here at Marshall,” Robinson said. “It is a life changing experience joining an organization such as this one and it is something that I hold very near and dear to my heart.”

Some of the events held throughout the week included a murder mystery game, an educational talk about love in the black community and a trivia night.

As an organization, Kappa Alpha Psi contributes to charitable events outside of Marshall University.

“One of my favorite things that we do is give back to our community and those in need,” Robinson said. “We have a wing within St. Jude’s because we give back to them so much.”

Robinson said being able to give back and help children fight against their illnesses is something he personally loves about his organization.

“Being able to help a child who hasn’t had a real opportunity at their best life yet, is something most cherished,” Robinson said.

Deshonda Stewart, athletic training major at Marshall, said the Kappas should be commemorated for being “awesome male role models.”

“They are all very loving and caring individuals that make you feel warm inside,” Stewart said. “The murder mystery event has been my favorite of the week, but they did a great job putting the week together. I’ve had a lot of fun.”

The newest members of Kappa Alpha Psi crossed over Friday at the new member presentation on the Memorial Student Center Plaza.

“To end the week, we will be doing some community service,” Robinson said. “Helping out the community that has allowed us to be here is what it’s all about.”

Following their Saturday morning community service, the Kappas are holding an afternoon “Kook-out” on the Memorial Student Center Plaza starting 2:30 p.m.

Christian Davis can be contacted at [email protected].