Marshall community participates in “Stuff the Truck”

Students and staff on Marshall’s campus were able to donate their gently used clothes Thursday for the Stuff the Truck event.

Goodwill and the Victoria’s Secret PINK Campus team sponsored the event on Buskirk Field from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Clara Maynard, PINK campus representative, was part of the action all day.

“We partnered with Goodwill Industries of KYOWVA, which services the tri-state area,” Maynard said. “This was the first time a Stuff the Truck event had been held on Marshall’s campus.”

This event was an addition to an off-campus Stuff the Truck event that was held the past weekend in the Huntington area.

Beth Sunderhaus, a marketing intern for Goodwill, explained the partnership and ideas behind this campus event.

“The event was with Victoria’s Secret PINK,” Sunderhaus said. “We worked together to create a donation drive. When people donate today they are given a PINK coupon to the store, entered into a Goodwill drawing and entered into a PINK drawing.”

The clothing donated went towards multiple programs sponsored by Goodwill.

“The donations will help the missions of Goodwill, which includes our hire attire program, our career center, employment services, family service counseling, consumer

credit counseling and our recycling program. Donating these items to Goodwill helps create jobs,” Sunderhaus said.

At one point during the event, there were 4,617 items collected and more were still being donated. Goodwill is continuing to accept donations at any of their retail locations. The end of today marks the end of this particular event.

Staff from both Goodwill and the PINK Campus team were happy with the outcome.

“We are really proud of the students and staff at Marshall for supporting Goodwill and donating thousands of gently used items,” Maynard said.

Alexis Leach can be contacted at [email protected].