New York Times Bestseller Helen Macdonald to host discussion at Marshall University

Students have the opportunity to spend the evening with New York Times bestselling author Helen Macdonald at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 4 at the Joan C. Edwards Playhouse. She will be discussing her award winning book “H is for Hawk” during the event.

“H is for Hawk” won the 2014 Samuel Johnson Prize and the Costa Book Award. The book has been translated into 25 different languages and is being developed into a movie by Lena Headey, the star of HBO’s hit show “Game of Thrones.”

President Obama even claimed “H is for Hawk” as one of his favorite reads when he placed Macdonald’s book at the top of his summer reading list. The evening with her Feb. 4 will be an opportune time for the community to learn more about her book, her work as a writer for the New York Times Magazine and her BBC/PBS documentary.

“There is something about authors that is inspiring,” said Nicole Lane, sophomore forensic chemistry major. “The life of an author is interesting and gives an alternative point of view on life that is refreshing. Yet another great opportunity for Marshall students.”

Director of Marketing & External Affairs for the Marshall Artists Series Angela Jones said the executive director thought this event would be of interest to Marshall students.

“Our executive director works with agents across the country,” Jones said. “She saw that this event has been at UCLA and Pittsburgh. She talked to agents, and she found it really interesting and wanted to bring it to Marshall.”

The event will include discussion of the book and its meaning to Macdonald, as it is a memoir of her life.

The evening with Macdonald will give the crowd insight into personal experiences and her life changing journey of taming an actual hawk, all while coping with the loss of her photojournalist father. Tickets are available now at the Marshall Artist Series Box Office located within the Joan C. Edwards Playhouse.

Alexia Lilly can be contacted at [email protected].