Black Sheep fundraiser to benefit late professor

111516-page-2_news
Courtesy Photo Jeff Kovatch at a Marshall University football game.

Black Sheep Burrito and Brews will have a fundraiser in honor of the late Jeffrey Kovatch, Ph.D., Marshall University associate professor of biological science, Thursday from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.

Twenty percent of all sales will be donated to a family fund for Kovatch’s wife, Paige Muellerleile, chairwoman of Marshall’s Faculty Senate and associate professor of psychology, and two daughters, Jada and Chelsea.

A specialty beer will be brewed for the event and music will be provided from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m.

“I really think this is a sign of how strong this little community is,” said Hilary Brewster, Ph.D., organizer of the event and assistant professor in Marshall’s English department. “They recognize that Marshall and Black Sheep have this very symbiotic relationship with each other on a daily basis, and when something tragic like this happens, Huntington as a whole, but also the businesses around Marshall, recognize that together we are part of a community.”

Kovatch was part of Create Huntington, a group that encourages people to create positive change in their community. Members of the group regularly met at Black Sheep.

“I honestly didn’t know how easy it would be to ask (Black Sheep) to do it,” Brewster said. “They said ‘yes’ immediately. I had originally gone in to ask for 10 percent of the daily sales and they suggested 20 (percent), they suggested the beer and they suggested the music.”

According to Kovatch’s obituary, he also worked with the Fourpole Creek Watershed Association. Community members were asked to “make time to make memories with your friends and family” to remember Jeff.

Kovatch passed away Nov. 5 after complications with a brain aneurysm at the age of 43.

Olivia Zarilla can be contacted at [email protected].