Drinko to sponsor FAFSA prep session for students

A Free Application for Federal Student Aid application assistance program will take place from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday in room 138 of Drinko Library.

Federal law has changed, allowing students to file a FAFSA as early as Oct. 1, instead of the previous standard of Jan. 1.

Nearly 70,000 students in West Virginia have completed their FAFSA for the 2016-2017 academic year. Completing a FAFSA allows students to be eligible for various states and federal scholarships and grants. A student cannot receive these awards, and numerous others, without completing a FAFSA.

The Heart of Appalachia Talent Search program will run the application event. HATS is a federally funded program that provides academic support to middle and high school students in Mason and Wayne counties who demonstrate the ability to succeed in college or a vocational/technical school. Approximately 70 percent of participants in HATS attend Marshall University upon graduating from high school.

Angie Holley, director of HATS, has been with the program since December 2002. She said students should always remember how valuable an education is.

“It’s important to consider that it’s not an impossible task,” Holley said with regard to the prospect of a student dropping out of school. “It’s worth it in the end. Receiving an education changes your whole life.”

The United States Department of Education reported that the impact of the changes includes greater certainty — applicants no longer need to estimate income or taxes paid — and there is less pressure overall, as the extended time allows for students and parents to explore and understand financial aid options and apply for aid before state deadlines.

Sebastian Morris can be contacted at [email protected].