Multicultural students to experience Marshall during Intercultural Students’ Weekend

Intercultural Students’ Weekend will take place Friday and Saturday.

The event allows junior and senior high school students and their families to come to campus and participate with university students, teachers, deans and other faculty. High schools are contacted through their junior and senior counselors to nominate students in the state for this weekend.

This year’s schedule includes meetings with the different colleges, student and parent discussion sessions, campus and residence hall tours and a lock-in at the campus recreation center.

The lock-in will include games, rocking climbing, movies, a magician and a step performance from the NPHC Greek letter organizations.

Maurice Cooley, vice president of Intercultural Affairs, said this event gives multicultural students a chance to experience Marshall’s campus.

“This is an opportunity for minority students to come together to give a sense of pride. In addition to pride, you get a rich exposure to Marshall,” Cooley said. “I hear so often, ‘oh my, I didn’t know that Marshall was like this,’ and the parents love it. Students come here and see what we have to offer and, after they graduate, come to Marshall because of this initiative.”

Alexis Leach can be contacted at [email protected].