SGA discusses student organization catering options

The Student Government Association discussed Sodexo catering and funding for organizations on campus during its weekly meeting Tuesday.

A discussion was opened on the resolution senate floor regarding student organizations and Sodexo. If student organizations want to host an event in a campus building, they are not allowed to bring outside food and must order food supplied by Sodexo. The contract Marshall has with Sodexo is up this July.

“Lots of administration are unhappy with Sodexo and their treatment with student organizations,” Student Body President Matt Jarvis said.

One suggested remedy was to utilize other catering options from food providers within the community that are heavily affiliated with Marshall and the student body.

During their old business segment, senators voted on whether to pass bills for requested funding for student organizations. Representative members of student organizations attended the meeting to vocalize what their funding request will be used toward and why they requested funding from the SGA.

Funding request bills for the Pakistan Student Association, the Native American Association and Young Life, an organization associated with the campus Christian center, were approved by unanimous decision.

Kyle Camacho can be contacted at [email protected].