Herd volleyball takes down Ohio University

Marshall University Women’s Volleyball Team defeated Ohio University in first home game of the season at the Cam Henderson Center Tuesday night. The win was a 3-2 split score (25-21, 24-26, 24-26, 25-18, 15-12).

Herd senior Cassie Weaver led the team with 18 kills and 19 digs, while freshman, Jac’cara Walker added another 17 kills and nine digs. Senior Ally Kiekover was responsible for 12 more kills.

Head coach Mitch Jacobs selected his player of the game, freshman Madelyn Cole. He said, “ If the player of the game isn’t Madelyn Cole, I do not know who else could deserve it.” Cole provided nine kills, 32 assists, and 14 digs for the home opening win.

The Herd and Bobcats started set one exchanging points which continued throughout the whole match. Ohio took a small lead in the middle of the set bringing the score to 10-7. The Herd came back forcing an Ohio timeout with a 24-21 match point lead. The set win was finalized with a back row attack by Weaver leaving the Herd ahead, 25-21.

The second set was again an exchange of points. Herd points came from Weaver, Craft, and freshman Madison Hill. Kiekover had a strong kill in the middle of the set to force an Ohio timeout. After the timeout the Herd got to match point with a 24-20 lead, but the Bobcats rallied from behind to come back and win the set 26-24.

With a couple of long rallies, both squads continued to exchange points. The Herd took a 22-21 lead after a kill from Hill, forcing a Bobcat timeout. With service errors from both sides the score became tied up 24-24, but Ohio took the lead for the 26-24 win and set lead, 2-1.

Walker set the tone for the fourth set with a kill, to give the Herd an early lead. Two aces from senior Allie Kellerman solidified Marshall’s 9-5 lead. After an exchange of points, a pair of kills and a double block from Kiekover and Cole again gave Marshall the lead, 12-8. Ohio made a strong effort, cutting the Herd lead to 19-16. The effort was not enough as Kiekover added an ace to make it match point, 24-18. Walker claimed the set win with a tricky kill to tie the match wins, 2-2.

The last set, the Bobcats took an early lead, 3-1. After an exchange of service errors, Marshall then cut the lead 4-3. A long volley between the teams came out in a tied set, 6-6. Ohio took the next point, but Weaver returned with a kill to again tie it up.   After a couple points, Marshall took the lead with a block from sophomore Shelby Conley and Hill. After a rally of points, Marshall took a timeout at the 12-11 score. An attack error by Marshall would be the last point for Ohio as a block and kill from Weaver gave the match win to the Herd.

This win was a significant one for the Marshall team, being the first win again Ohio since 2002.

This weekend the Herd will take on two rivals, Morehead State and West Virginia University at the West Virginia Capital Classic in Charleston along with Indiana State. Head coach, Mitch Jacobs said he loves rivalry games.

“It makes my players have to have their heart rates high,” said Jacobs.

The Marshall University Volleyball Team is 2-2 this season going into this weekend’s games.

Alexis Leach can be reached at [email protected]