Say cheese: Delta Sigma Theta and Career Services offers headshot, resume workshop

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated paired up with Career Services Wednesday to offer workshops during its “Getting Freddy Ready” event.

“We’re going to be doing a headshot workshop and a resume workshop with Career Services,” said senior public relations and broadcast journalism double major Nichole Henderson.

Career counselor with Career Services Beth Waugh did workshops giving students tips for writing resumes. A photographer was present to take headshots for students who were prepared.

Henderson said after gaining nine new members Monday, this is Delta Sigma Theta’s first Delta week, and “Getting Freddie Ready” is the second episode of the week.

Henderson said the theme for the week is “A Delta World,” which plays on the title of the television show “A Different World.” The name of each event correlates with names of characters on the show.

Henderson said the content of each event through the week correlates with the five programmatic thrusts of Delta. The resume and headshot workshop falls under educational development.

Waugh started the program by giving a presentation about resumes.

“The biggest thing they need to do is keep it short and descriptive,” Waugh said.

Waugh said she helps students write documents like personal statements, resumes and cover letters.

“I assist students on their job search when they’re getting ready to graduate or even for summer jobs,” Waugh said.

Waugh said she hoped her presentation would show students an effective way to market themselves to future employers.

“Hopefully they will gain a better representation of themselves,” Waugh said.

Delta Sigma Theta will hold “Getting Smart with Whitley” Thursday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Memorial Student Center. There will be fellowship for Delta Sigma Theta sisters Friday at Pottery Place at 6 p.m., as well as praise and worship at First Baptist Church Sunday at 11 a.m.

The sorority is accepting clothing donations for the Huntington City Mission at all their events this week.

Lydia Waybright can be contacted at [email protected].