Players aware of history, tradition

Amber Payne, Reporter

Nov. 14, 1970, will always hold a special place in the hearts of the Herd and residents of the tri-state region.

Marshall University’s head football coach, Doc Holliday, said the staff educates the players on Herd history when they arrive on campus.

“We try to do a great job of educating our players from the time they walk on campus of what the history of this program is,” Holliday said. “This is part of the history. It is part of our story, and our players embrace it.”

Rakeem Cato, starting quarterback for the Herd, said the coaches start sharing the history of Marshall early.

“As a freshman, they take us through everything, not verbally, but show us everything, as far as watching the movie,” Cato said. “I think the movie is a great example for all of the players to see and understand what was really going on here at Marshall University.”

Cato said the coaches stress the importance of memorializing the crash.

“I think the coaches do a great job with us, talking and taking us out to the grave site,” Cato said. “They really key in and lock in on that, week in and week out. They talk about it everyday and every chance that they get.”

Last year, the football team played its first road game on the anniversary of the crash since Nov. 14, 1970. They were not able to attend the annual Memorial Service at the fountain. Instead, they decided to wear the number 75 emblazoned on special helmets at the game to honor the 75 lives lost in the plane crash.

Holliday said the special helmets will remain a tradition when they play the game closest to the anniversary of the crash.

“It is a great tribute, and our players love it,” Holliday said. “I think it is a tradition that we all embrace. It means everything to these kids.”

Cato said when he wears the number on his helmet, it symbolizes something more than himself.

“The 75 on our helmets mean a lot,” Cato said. “It is not only representing us as an individual, but it represents all of Marshall University and everything that is Marshall University. It makes us up our game point to another level. As long as we are doing that, everything will be ok ay.”

Holliday said the team knows what is expected of them when they wear the memorial helmets.

“They understand that when they put that 75 on their helmets, it means a lot,” Holliday said. “That was an emotional time. They understand that when you step on the field with that on your helmet, you better play extremely hard.”

The Herd will be wearing the 75 for Saturday’s game against Rice at Joan C. Edwards Stadium.

Amber Payne can be contacted at [email protected].