Thompson named one of C-USA’s Winter Spirit Service Award recipients

Lexi Browning

Marshall University sophomore Terrence Thompson defends an inbound pass March 11 against Middle Tennessee State University in the Conference USA semifinals.

Marshall University men’s basketball player Terrence Thompson was one of 14 Conference USA student-athletes to earn the conference’s 2015-16 Winter Spirit Service Award.

The award honored Thompson’s combination of community service, academic standing and athletic competition.

Thompson’s work within the community includes spending time with patients at Cabell Huntington Children’s Hospital and the Huntington VA Medical Center.

Thompson also worked with the INTO Mentoring Program and Huntington City Mission.

Thompson also visited local schools to talk about the importance of setting goals and read books to students.

As for his academic achievements, Thompson maintains a 3.40 GPA as biology major with plans to attend medical school after graduation to become a doctor.

Thompson, now a sophomore, transferred to Marshall last spring after graduating from Georgia Highlands College with honors.

In addition to his impact on the community and his work in the classroom, Thompson also contributed on the hardwood this past season.

Thompson appeared in 32 of the team’s 33 games  last season, averaging 11.3 minutes per game, 3.4 points per game and 3.5 rebounds per game.

The sophomore scored a career-high 11 points to go with eight rebounds in the team’s 87-85 victory over the University of Texas at El Paso March 10 in the Conference USA Tournament Quarterfinals.