Spring break ruined by false grades

Every spring and fall semester, faculty members evaluate freshman and sophomore students’ grades.

The students who are not earning a C or higher at the time have a letter sent to their permanent address, in most cases it is their parent’s address.

These letters state the courses the students aren’t succeeding in with their current grade and offer resources to help improve grades.

The week before spring break, Marshall’s Office of Academic Affairs issued these letters, but as it turns out, many were false.

The letters made some students and parents believe they had more D’s or F’s than they really did.

One of those students whose spring break was ruined by these error letters was freshman biology major Cassidy Roper who said her parents took away her spring break allowance.

“Right when I walked into the door (the Friday before spring break) my mom handed me this grade report letter,” Roper said. “I immediately freaked out and told her it was wrong, what kid wouldn’t say a bad grade is false.”

Marshall’s office of Academic Affairs sent out an email apologizing for the confusion nine days later stating several of these letters were printed in error and corrected letters would be mailed out.

Students who received a corrected letter could drop an individual full-term course until 5 p.m. March 30.

Emily Wood can be contacted at [email protected].