Countdown to Commencement provides one-stopshop for grads

Kelly Pate, Reporter

The semi-annual graduation fair, Countdown to Commencement, helped graduates tie up loose ends Tuesday and Wednesday in the Memorial Student Center.

Since 2005, the Registrar’s Office has presented the annual event benefitting graduating students by providing a central location for them to communicate with administrative offices and retailers.

Countdown to Commencement began when Pam Kinkel, Josten’s territory sales manager, called Marshall University and prompted it to start an event that would consolidate the graduation process.

“I contacted Steven Hensley, dean of students, about having a fair,” Kinkel said. “He passed it on to Roberta Ferguson, registrar, and it has been a success ever since.”

Senior marketing major Michael Mojtaszek said the event has fueled his excitement for graduation.

“I have had a case of senioritis and have not had a lot of motivation this last semester,” Mojtaszek said. “My friend came [to Countdown to Commencement] yesterday and prompted me to come today. After attending, it has inspired me to finish strong and enjoy graduation.”

According to a press release, previous winter commencement ceremonies took place in the Henderson Center, but the continued growth in the number of graduates forced the university to switch to the Big Sandy Superstore Arena this year.

At Countdown to Commencement, graduates were able to communicate with several departments and businesses, including the registrar’s office, Marshall University Bookstore, Josten’s, GradImages Photography, Framing Success, the Graduate College, Career Services, the office of the bursar, financial aid, the campus ID office, the Alumni Relations Association, the Center for African American Students and Military and Veterans’ Affairs.

Ferguson said the number of students this year has already surpassed the number of students from last year.

“We are very optimistic,” Ferguson said. “But we will not know the total number of students until the end of the event.”

The 2014 winter commencement is set for 2 p.m. Dec. 14.

Kelly Pate can be contacted at [email protected].