Exercises Learned and Calories Burned

New class called Body Pump kicks off at the Rec Thursday night.

Emily Rice

The first Rec Fitness Night kicked off Thursday evening at the Marshall Rec Center.

This free event welcomed the community to Marshall’s Rec Center to attend a variety of group fitness classes, as well as free consultations given by personal trainers.

“We wanted to do something where we could showcase all of our classes and also let people from the community come in to see what we have,” Michele Muth, Assistant Director of Marketing and Memberships, said.

Three new fitness classes we’re introduced during this event: BodyPump, Piloxing and PiYo. Other group fitness classes offered at the Rec include: Yoga Flow, Yoga Body Burn, Yoga Basics, Buti Yoga, C.U.T., Strength Cycle, Zumba, HIIT, Cycle 45, Hard Core, Women’s Workout, Belly Dance, Agua Fitness, Butts and Gutts, Barre Fit and Cardio Kick.

Dave Belcher, Assistant Director of Facilities and Operations, is a cycling instructor at the Rec Center.

“We’re not going to sit there and yell at you to pick up the pace. This is your workout; you get out of it what you want.”

— Dave Belcher

“Working at a fitness center you’re very aware this isn’t necessarily a comfortable environment for everybody, so as an instructor you’re making sure that people understand this is a high intensity class, you make it your own”, Belcher said. “We’re not going to sit there and yell at you to pick up the pace. This is your workout; you get out of it what you want. Make sure you challenge yourself and adjust to what you need. Everyone has different levels.”

“You don’t know until you try”, Belcher said. “If you go to www.Marshallcampusrec.com and look at the calendar, you can see a list of all the classes and descriptions to find what you like”.

Starting this fall the Rec Center’s extra fee no longer exists, access to the Rec is already included in students tuition fee. This fall is also the first semester all of the Rec’s group fitness classes are free.

“We have a goal to get every single student on Marshall’s campus in the Rec Center”, Muth said.

Brianna Paxton can be contacted at [email protected]