Where Can Marshall Take You?

February 2, 2022

A road is for one that travels and has countless experiences along the way that ultimately leads into newer ones. There’s always something ahead and something behind you.  

Preparing for life after college as a Son or Daughter of Marshall can open endless possibilities and create powerful experiences. Marshall’s “Green Road” opens all kinds of different directions and provides many powerful experiences.  

Marshall University student Lilly Barickman said Marshall provides students with countless leadership opportunities, including student government and Greek life.  

Being as unsure as I am about my future career plans, Marshall is equipping me with the best skills and education to push me towards a great future,” Barickman said.  

College provides students with all the tools one may need for a successful future, but at Marshall it’s much more than that.  

Marshall University Videographer Mike Powers said Marshall can and always has changed the lives of students.  

When you start your journey here, you may be seeing your life’s direction going in one direction and by the time you graduate, it’s something completely different you may not have thought of before,” Powers said.  

When you think of Marshall, you think of our phrase “We are Marshall.” The meaning behind it, is important to everyone but in a different way. Most have different answers, but all point back to one idea, family.  

The phrase “We Are Marshall” to me, means you are part of something bigger than yourself. It’s being part of a community and family that supports you and in turn you help support others,” Powers said.  

A road can open many opportunities and new adventures, it is your decision in which road you will choose. Marshall has a certain path “The Green Road” and is ready to take their Sons and Daughters as far as it can.  

Powers said “The Green Road” will take you as far as you will let it. Especially in the case of our new President Brad D. Smith, it took him to the Silicon Valley and finally back home here at Marshall.  

“Like most roads, there may be some unexpected obstacles and sharp turns along the way, but those challenges will only make you stronger by the time you reach your destination,” Powers said.  

In the end, when you walk across that stage and grab that diploma, you’ll be taking a new route. No matter how far you travel on that route, “The Green Road,” at Marshall will always play a huge part of your past, present and most importantly, future.