Exchange student profile: Anita Langary

Anita Langary, from London, England moved to Cambridge, England in 2013 to attend Anglia-Ruskin University.

Langary is now a journalism exchange student at Marshall University, and she said her first semester in America has been better than she expected.

“The people are much friendlier here,” Langary said.

She said there is one thing from America she would like to take home.

“One of your SUVs, although I’d have nowhere to park it back home,” Langary said. “Our cars are much smaller.”

Langary explained the education system in England. She said students start studying at the age of 14 and begin a series of preliminary tests that continue until the end of high school. 

The student attends college for three years instead of four and focus on his or her major. Classes are separated into large lecture classes and smaller seminars with independent work.

Langary said she sees a difference in teachers in the U.S. and teachers in England.

“The teachers care so much more here,” Langary said.

According to Langary, the way class is structured here is more suitable for a learning environment. She said the teachers are more hands-on and give assignments every week instead of leaving it up to the student.

Langary said class is not the only thing she likes about Marshall.

“I had pizza at Harless a few days ago that was better than some delivery back home,” Langary said. “We have one dining hall on our campus, but no food plans, and it’s very expensive.”

Langary said she has enjoyed the inexpensiveness of America.

“Everything back home costs about three times as much as it does here,” Langary said.

Langary said she finds it strange Americans rely on cars to get around and that shopping is not close by.

In Cambridge people rely on bikes or walking to get where they are going and most shopping can be done about a two to three minute walk from campus.

The only things she said she misses are friends and the comfort of knowing where everything is.

Caitlin Fowlkes can be contacted at fowlkes2@marshall.edu.