Senior spotlight: Zaire Chester

Instagram of Zaire Chester

Senior Zaire Chester a is president of a Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated chapter, a West Virginia state facilitator for Delta Sigma Theta and a member of Marshall’s Black United Students, Young Democrats and Pre-Law Club.

Many students may not know there are student leaders sitting in the same classes as them. These leaders endure the general trials and tribulations that other students face, as well as planning and executing various events and initiatives with organizations on and off Marshall University’s campus.

Zaire Chester, a senior political science and economics major and criminal justice and African American studies minor, is president of one of the 940 Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated chapters around the world. She is also a West Virginia state facilitator for Delta Sigma Theta. 

This list, however, does not fully surmise her activities on Marshall’s campus. Chester is an active member of the Black United Students, Young Democrats and the Pre-Law Club. She has not only been part of the visibility and success of Delta Sigma Theta, but she continues to push her organization to the next level. 

Even with the success Chester has had with her organizations, she said she still has things that she wants to accomplish on Marshall’s campus. 

“I would like to see more support for out-of-state students. Often times, I feel that we are overlooked,” Chester said. “Specifically, I would like to see more support with getting out-of-state students home for holidays and breaks.” 

Chester said she has enjoyed her time at Marshall and her favorite part about being a student is the creativity. 

“I love the creative freedom that we have as students in Marshall’s campus,” Chester said. “If there is something that you don’t see on campus, you (the student) can essentially create it yourself.” 

Chester also had some advice for incoming freshmen.

“Get involved! It is extremely important to get involved with organizations because for several reasons,” Chester said. “You will network with other students, you will adjust to campus/college life faster and you will learn about the resources available to you on campus and in the community.”

Some events that students can look forward to attending include: “Meet the Greeks” at 7 p.m. Sept. 9 in 2E28 of the Memorial Student Center and “Building Your Brand” at 7:13 p.m. Sept. 17 in 2W22 of the MSC. 

Chester said she is one of multiple students who have faced the problem of motivating themselves to keep going in this college lifestyle that often seems monotonous to some students. When asked what drives her every day and what keeps her going throughout her journey, Chester reflected on her ancestors. 

“I am my ancestors’ wildest dreams. So many have fought for me to be in the position that I am in today. I/We owe it to them to keep pushing and breaking down boundaries,” Chester said. 

Marcus Williams can be contacted at [email protected].