Pan-Hellenic Council presents bake sale in MSC

NPHC had a table set up with a variety of sweets including cookies, cake pops, brownies and cupcakes.

Marshall University’s National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) put together a bake sale from 11 to 3 p.m. Tuesday in the Memorial Student Center.

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority member Kayla Marshall said the event was for multiple purposes.

This is one way for us to give back to the black community and to Marshall’s community as well

— Kayla Marshall

“We are doing this event to help with fundraising, to complete our community service initiatives and to help fundraise events that we want to have on campus,” Marshall said. “This is one way for us to give back to the black community and to Marshall’s community as well.”

Students took turns approaching the table and asking for prices for the items on sale.

“Overall we were happy with the turn out so far, a lot of people were really interested and happy to see our bake sale,” Marshall said. “They liked the presentation so we were really excited about that and we raised a lot of money.”

Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity member Charles Payne said NPHC looks forward to hosting more events than they did last semester and hope that more successful bake sales will help them achieve their goals.

“Our next big event will be in February and it is the ‘Soup for Soul’ event for Black History month,” Payne said. “We are going to have a soup making contest and entertainment for people to come out and enjoy.”

Payne said NPHC would like for the student body to recognize them more on campus and understand that they are a part of Marshall’s Greek life.

Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Alexia Johnson said they look forward to seeing people at their events.

“We would like students to know that we are here to help the Marshall community and the Huntington community,” said Johnson. “Also, we would like them to know that we are very approachable and we love to speak to people and we look forward to seeing everyone at our upcoming events.”

Payne said NPHC welcomes all students to talk to them and find out what they are about.

Nichole Henderson can be contacted at [email protected].