SGA sets dates for presidential election

Potential presidents, vice presidents and senators are required to have a 3.0 GPA and a minimum of 40 credit hours completed.

The Student Government Association has set the dates for the 2015 Marshall University Student Body Presidential Election.

Every spring, a new presidential election takes place on Marshall’s campus.

Lila Mangus, student body vice president of the student body, said next week SGA is electing the new elections commissioner.

“This person is in charge of making sure the rules are not broken during the time of campaigning,” Mangus said.

The elections commissioner explains the rules to the candidates on filing day and makes sure they are aware of campaigning rules.

Filing day is when potential presidents, vice presidents and senators sign up to run for office.

Student Body President Duncan Waugaman said filing day is Feb. 24, and it is very important.

“Filing day is important because it is your one chance to get your name on the ballot,” Waugaman said. “It is also the first step to becoming the next president, vice president or senator.”

Elections are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. March 10 and 11 and votes must be in by 5 p.m. to be counted.

SGA will be answering questions at filing day and they are also available to answer questions in the SGA office upstairs, in the Memorial Student Center.

Skyler Hunt can be contacted at [email protected].