Filed under GALLERIES, LIFE

Where Marshall can take you: Working in California

Back to Article
Back to Article

Isabelle Rogner poses with friends and her dog, Charlie, while skiing in California. Rogner is an alumna from Marshall University who now works at Intuit in Mountain View, California.

Courtesy of Isabelle Rogner

Courtesy of Isabelle Rogner

Courtesy of Isabelle Rogner

While Isabelle Rogner, a Marshall University alumna from Lewisburg, West Virginia, now lives and works in California, she looks back fondly on her memories of Marshall. Rogner contributed two things to the university to help future students: assisting with the addition of the Green Machine bus and helping to create the College of Business’s Innovation Center.

“Building the Green Machine bus at Marshall University was a super fun project that has had lasting impact on both the students and the community,” Rogner said. “I was also part of the team that brought the Innovating for Impact event to Marshall, which was the catalyst of the College of Business’s Innovation Center.”

While at Marshall, Rogner was involved with teams and organizations.

“During my time at Marshall I was on the women’s cross-country/track team,” Rogner said. “I also was involved with student government as the vice president my senior year.”

Rogner gave advice to incoming freshmen.

“Be a ‘yes’ man,” Rogner said. “You’ll have enough time to sleep when you’re dead. Take advantage of all the opportunities you have to get involved at school.”

Rogner majored in international business and economics, with minors in political science and marketing.

Graduating from Marshall, Rogner took a job at Intuit as Business Operations Analyst. An average day for her brings an assortment of different activities and fun challenges, she said.

“My days vary between talking to Intuit customers about their experiences being self-employed or small business owners, to creating strategy presentations for our general managers,” Rogner said. “All days include emails upon emails and loads of excel. Intuit’s mission of powering prosperity around the world creates an ideal state that makes me excited to wake up everyday to work toward. I can feel the commitment and passion the company puts towards the focus of the customer benefit, not the profitable solution. I’m also surrounded by some of the most talented, brilliant, hard-working people in the world.”

Intuit is located in Mountain View, California. Rogner met Intuit’s Chairman and CEO Brad Smith once before at Marshall.

“Brad Smith told me about Intuit over burgers in Harless Dining Hall during the spring of my senior year,” Rogner said. “I knew it would be my new home after just learning about the company’s mission and values.”

Living in California, she said there are endless possibilities for activities and things to do outside of work, and she likes to participate in many healthy outdoor activities with friends and her dog.

“I love spending my time in the outdoors either skiing, hiking, running or biking with the amazing tribe of women I’ve met in California, and of course with my golden retriever, Charlie,” Rogner said.

Rogner said she wished she had taken a culinary class while at Marshall.

“I am struggling to cook out in the real world,” Rogner said. “Takeout is my new best friend.”

Gretchen Kalar can be contacted at [email protected]