Full information technology, tech assistance available for the Herd community

Drinko Library’s Information Technology staff sponsored the first Tech-Up Open House of the semester Wednesday. The event was free to students, faculty and staff. The Tech-Up Open House’s purpose is to provide the Marshall University community with a better understanding of the technology available at Marshall and how to use it. Representatives were present from Libraries and Online Learning, IT and Counseling Services to assist with navigating the programs Marshall offers.

Created in response to a Marshall student request in 2012, the Tech-Up Open Houses have become a usual occurrence throughout each semester and provide a forum in which participants can specifically learn about the tips and skills needed to navigate MUOnline, MUAlert, online databases, Microsoft Outlook and Wi-Fi. Many services are available to the Marshall community, and the Tech-Up Open Houses provide awareness of these services.

“It’s a really good way for students to reach out to staff of Marshall University who can help them with all the resources available,” Crystal Stewart, IT Client Engagement Manager, said. “We can give them one-on-one help, or they can learn from students who are in attendance.”

While Tech-Up Open house is targeted to students to help them learn about how to use the available resources, professors and instructors were encouraged to attend as well, Steward said.

“Sometimes professors are encouraged to use technology, but they might not have a full understanding of it,” Stewart said. “They can take advantage of this and get some one-on-one help themselves.”

The University’s IT and Library departments respond to several technological-related questions daily.

“The main inquires usually involve questions regarding effectively changing and setting a secure password for myMU, installing Office 365 on a device and connecting game systems to an online connection,” Jody Perry, executive director of Technology Services, said.

More forums will be announced in the future, and the IT department continues to provide services 24/7.

Olayinka Bamiro can be contacted at [email protected].