Homecoming court representatives announced

Brooke Griffin, Reporter

Brooke Griffin
Marshall’s 2017 homecoming court. (Front, from left) Michael Andry, Payton Paluch, Katie Lemmon, Emily Kinner, Taylor Foster, Hannah Fetty and Daniel Parlock. (Back, from left) Corey Taylor, Daniel Feck and Alexander Bailey.

The Marshall Thundering Herd ended their annual Unity Walk by announcing their 2017 Homecoming Court with dozens of students watching.

Kelly green bow ties and dresses filled the stage as the candidates were named. The roster includes Katie Lemmon, Payton Paluch, Michael Andry, Emily Kinner, Daniel Feck, Taylor Foster, Hannah Fetty, Alexander Bailey, Corey Taylor and Daniel Parlock.

“I’m really excited that the hard work paid off and happy for all my fellow candidates who made court as well,” said court representative Alexander Bailey.

Marshall’s 116th homecoming game will have the official announcement of Mr. and Miss Marshall. From that point on, the two winning candidates will represent the university and their new titles by attending events such as the Capitol Classic Basketball Game, Marshall University Day at the Capitol and Alumni Weekend visits.

“I’m hoping with this experience I am able to bring more positive attention to the city of Huntington and Marshall University,” court representative Katie Lemmon said. “Many times, we are overshadowed by WVU, and I think people need to see all of the good being done here at Marshall.

As the final days before homecoming are being counted down by those running to be the next representatives of Marshall University, some contestants said they are thankful for the whole experience itself.

“It feels amazing to even have this opportunity,” Lemmon said. “Win or lose, I have made new friends and built relationships that I never would have otherwise throughout this experience. This is something I will always cherish. The sleepless nights and hours of campaigning were so worth it.”

Several events are left in the upcoming days for the candidates to get themselves noticed and hang out with fellow students. Students can meet them at the bonfire, picnic and parade.

Brooke Griffin can be contacted at [email protected].