XOXO, Michael Brown

The readers submitted some questions about life, love and everything in between. I answered them as honest as I knew possible. I’m here to keep it real with you when no one else is and to answer with no judgment because I don’t know you! I’m just a college senior who enjoys giving his opinion. Here are some of the questions I got this week:

What TV series would you recommend watching right now?

“Real House Wives of Atlanta” just started back and I am overjoyed. I’m also in the middle of watching “American Horror Story,” “Empire,” “Greys Anatomy” and “How To Get Away With Murder.”

Have you ever had a one-night stand?

Please don’t judge me, but I’m going to be honest and say yes, I have. I don’t regret it; I’m young, living and loving life.

What do you think about Americans saying that Donald Trump being the President-elect scares them?

I must say that I completely understand where they are coming from, especially being a biracial gay male. When the election was finally over I must say that I cried several times. I was truly looking forward to having Hilary Clinton as my president, I love her and I don’t care if you disagree.

I have had such a bad first semester here and I really want to do better next semester. Do you have any good advice for me to do better next semester?

When I began college, I really struggled during the transition. My first semester, when freshmen get letters sent home, I had two sent home and I will never forget when my parents called me that night and gave me a long lecture about how they just wanted the best for me and I just needed to apply myself, etc. I was just lazy. Anyone can do well in school, and then you just have to put in the work. It doesn’t come easy for everyone; if you want the grades, then put in the work. You have to manage your time wisely, and do not procrastinate.

I graduate in May and I have no idea what I want to do? What should I do?

I too was sort of conflicted on what it was that I wanted to do come May after graduating and I went to speak to one of my favorite professors, Rebecca Johnson, and I also spoke with Maurice Cooley, Associate Vice President of Intercultural Affairs. Professor Johnson and I went on a walk, and sometimes just saying your goals and dreams out loud for someone else to hear helps so much. When I went and spoke to Mr. Cooley, he gave me homework and challenged me to help me understand what it was that I really wanted to do post graduation. Both of these people I am extremely thankful for. I’m unsure what your major is or who you are, but there are so many people here at Marshall who just want to see you go far. Reach out and ask for advice.

To have your question answered you can submit them on ask.fm/mikeyyybx.

Michael Brown can be contacted at [email protected].