Another loss for men’s soccer


Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story


The Marshall University men’s soccer team lost to Old Dominion University in overtime Wednesday. This result changes the overall record to 6-9-1 and the conference record to 1-4-1.

“That’s typical conference play here,” head coach Bob Gray said. “Sometimes the ball has to bounce your way, and it’s frustrating because I thought we should have put one away. There was some good soccer, just unfortunate someone had to lose.”

The game was slow to develop as both teams played conservatively, only testing each other in small attacks. The first real chance to score came 10 minutes into the match as Monarch defender Jimmy Filerman ripped a shot at the Marshall net, but a diving save was made by Thundering Herd goal keeper Trevor Clemens.

That offensive possession ignited physical back and forth play between the two teams. Old Dominion took the majority of possession past that point, but Marshall pressed quickly, gaining possession and forcing the ball downfield, with the goal of playing at a faster pace. Old Dominion held the backline and slowed the pace back down upon gaining possession.

“I was surprised at the athleticism of Old Dominion,” Coach Gray said about the physicality in the game. “It was physical, but clean, and you expect these kinds of physical games when everything is at stake like this.”

The contrasting styles continued into the second half as the methodical strategy of the Monarchs continued to test the Thundering Herd’s awareness and positioning. The Thundering Herd generated offense through superior defensive position and forced great chances to score on three occasions.

Two counter attacks placed Marshall forward Daniel Jodah against Old Dominion goal keeper Alex Tiesenhausen. Jodah’s first attempt had Tiesenhausen beat, but the shot went just wide of the goal, rolling out of bounds. Jodah’s next attempt was on target, but Tiesenhausen reacted in time to dive and make the save.

Trevor Starcher had an opportunity when he was played into the clear, but his attempt was stopped short when he was fouled about 25 yards from the goal. The offender was shown a yellow card and the ensuing free kick was shot, but sailed over the cross bar.

The game remained scoreless through the first 90 minutes allotted for a standard game, then it went into overtime. The Thundering Herd started with the kickoff and held possession in the Old Dominion side of the field for most of the period. There were several shot attempts, but those attempts were blocked before testing Tiesenhausen.

The Monarchs weathered the initial storm of Thundering Herd offense and forced the ball back up the field toward the Thundering Herd defensive side. The Monarchs earned a corner kick and on the attempt, sent it into the box. Clemens attempted to punch the ball clear, but only managed to knock the ball in the air a few feet away. Clemens scrambled to recover the falling ball, but his progress was blocked by the plethora of players in the penalty box. Subsequently, the ball landed at the feet of Jesse Miralrio. Miralrio blasted a shot and, after a few ricochets off Thundering Herd defenders, it went into the corner of the goal, launching celebration for the Monarchs and agony for the Thundering Herd.

The Thundering Herd men’s soccer team has only two regular season games remaining. The final away game will be at 7 p.m. Oct. 31 at Lexington, Kentucky against the University of Kentucky. The final home game will start at 7 p.m. Nov. 4 against the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.

Joseph Ashley can be reached at [email protected]

Print Friendly, PDF & Email