Budgets cuts impact Drinko Library

Drinko Library stands as a student hub for learning outside of the classroom, September 12, 2016.
Ryan Fischer | The Parthenon

Budget cuts to higher education in West Virginia have negatively impacted Drinko Library at Marshall University. New policies have been introduced, and several previously offered resources are now unavailable to students.

Marshall reported an $11.5 million annual loss in funding from the state since 2013. This cut has been felt across campus, not excluding the library.

John Deaver Drinko Library opened in 1998 and has since provided a full range of services, including multimedia training, highly equipped study rooms and state-of-the-art computer access.

Head of Access Services Kelli Johnson has been involved with the library since 1999. She said the library has lost the resources necessary to keep extended hours.

“Students ask us to extend hours,” Johnson said. “We just don’t have the staff to do that, and we don’t have the money for more staff.”

Budget cuts limit resources, such as the laptop loan program and online databases. There will no longer be immediate renewals on laptop check-outs and a 24-hour waiting period between check-outs is in effect.

Ron Titus, electronic services librarian, said that increased budget cuts injure the education process.

“The less that you fund higher education, the more problems there will be,” Titus said.

Despite these financial restraints, Drinko Library continues to work closely with, and be a resource for, Marshall and the Huntington community.

The textbook loan program is available again this year. Textbooks for various classes are available to check out for 3 hours at a time.

Representatives from different departments will meet Sept. 19 at Drinko to discuss how the library can further meet needs.

The John Deaver Drinko Library is open from 7:30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. weekdays, with shortened hours on weekends.

Sebastian Morris can be contacted at [email protected].