Cultures collide for World Fusion Day

Son Nguyen

Student Katelyn McGuffin tries on a hijab at the Muslim Student Association’s table outside the Memorial Student Center, April 6, 2016.

Marshall University’s Office of Intercultural Affairs ended its first World Fusion Week Wednesday with a multi-cultural themed event, “World Fusion Day” at the Memorial Student Center plaza from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

According to a press release from the Office of Intercultural Affair, over 15 “cultural and subcultural groups” participated in this event, such as the Chinese Student Organization, International Student Organization, Lambda Society and the Kendo Club. Music from several countries was also broadcasted from the WMUL table.

Marshall student and Lambda Society member Samantha Lengyel said it was interesting to see the other cultures that came out to the event.

“We haven’t been really able to get a whole lot of events done this semester, so this is a good opportunity for us to get out there,” Lengyel said.

Each organization’s table presented information, photos and items pertaining to their culture. Several culture themed activities were also offered by the organizations at the event, such as Henna tattoos, learning how to wear a Hijab and food samples.

Office of Intercultural Affairs’ graduate assistant Shaleena Ross said she thinks the event was a success.

“I think that just getting so many groups on the plaza and you can see on the faces of the people that are walking by, there is an interest in what is going on, who is involved,” Ross said. “So I think for our mission on campus of helping create globally minded students, this is great step in that direction, because it just get the visibility on campus, which is very important to all these organizations and all the different type of student on campus.”

Professor Terry Shank, one of the event’s participants, said he fully supports the event.

“I love the diversity of what’s being addressed here,” Shank said. “It’s all great.”

Son Nguyen can be contact as [email protected].