Freshman Daiss named C-USA Softball Co-Player of the Week in collegiate debut

Marshall freshman infielder Briana Daiss was named Conference USA Softball Co-Player of the Week, the league announced earlier this week.

In her first collegiate games, Daiss helped the Herd to two eighth inning victories Sunday at the Trojan Invite in Troy, Alabama.

In game one against Alabama State University, Daiss came to the plate to pinch hit in the bottom of the eighth inning with the game tied at two, one out and a runner at first. The right-hander went after the second pitch of the at-bat and sent it over the right-field fence to give Marshall the walk-off 4-2 win.

“To have Daiss come up huge with the game winner not once but twice in the same day was unbelievable,” head coach Shonda Stanton said in a news release. “As an athlete, you work for those moments. I gave her the hit-and-run sign, and she made a funny face as she stepped in the box. And as I turned to [Taylor]McCord, who sent us to extras with her solo shot, and I said ‘Do you think she knows the signs?’ ‘Boom.’ She blasted a monster shot over the right field fence, and the Herd went crazy, flying out of the dugout.”

Daiss started game two against host-team Troy University as the designated player. With two runners on in the top of the first inning and Marshall leading 1-0, the freshman roped a line drive into the left-center gap for a two RBI double.

Daiss was responsible for both of the Herd’s runs in the third as she first hit a RBI single into center and then later scored on another base hit to center. Marshall held a 5-3 lead at that point.

Troy tied the game in the bottom of the seventh, sending the Herd to its second straight extra inning contest.

However, the Herd regained the lead and won its second game, 7-5, in large part due to a big hit by Daiss in the seventh inning.

“In game two, the team was somewhat deflated when Troy tied it in the bottom of the seventh,” Stanton said. “Daiss’ laser shot without a doubt gave our group the boost we needed and confidence to finish the game.

Stanton said Daiss’ debut may have been the most impressive in Herd history.

“Her debut as a freshman wearing the green and white was something special to watch and probably the best in Herd history,” Stanton said.

Daiss finished the double-header day 4-5 (.800) at the plate, scored three runs, drove in seven runs, one double and two home runs. She had an on base percentage of .800 and slugged 2.200 with 11 total bases.