Walgreens extends grant money to Marshall School of Pharmacy for diversity initiatives

Submitted Photo

Shelvy Campbell-Monroe, Ph.D., assistant dean for diversity describes diversity programs at the Marshall University School of Pharmacy to Walgreens representatives Christopher Keyfon (left) and D. Rich Miller, Ph.D. (second to left). Also in photo are Kevin W. Yingling, R.Ph., M.D. dean of the school of pharmacy (top left) and H. Glenn Anderson, Pharm. D., associate dean of academic and curricular affairs (top right).

Walgreens has given a $10,000 grant to The Marshall University School of Pharmacy to assist with diversity outreach and inclusion initiatives. This makes the second year the school has received the funding.

The grant is to be distributed as scholarships. It is Walgreens’ national effort to help pipeline programs and other cultural initiatives to support increasing diversity among professional student programs. Walgreens representatives believe diversity and inclusion is a way of life embedded deep in our culture.

Five total pharmacy students have received Walgreens scholarships over the past academic year.

Jacob Dotson, fourth year, Grayson, Kentucky

James W. Frazier, fourth year, Louisville, Kentucky

Saman Ghafary, second year, Dallas, Texas

Yanick N. Hicks, third year, Marietta, Georgia

Minh Thu T. Tran, second year, Jacksonville, Florida

According to the press release, Walgreens officials are pleased to lend their support to Marshall, citing the multiple diversity outreach programs at the university as reasoning for providing the grant.

Marshall’s diversity initiatives include a weeklong residential immersion program for high school students that introduce them to health care careers including pharmacy. For the grant, Walgreens requires the school to report on how the funds were used to support diversity initiatives throughout the year.

Logan Parkulo can be contacted at [email protected].