Women’s Studies reaches out to a community in need

Aundrea Horsley, Reporter

Marshall University’s Women’s Studies department is reaching out to help organizations in the community. The department is taking action to support Stop Abusive Family Environments, Inc. (SAFE), the Alderson Women’s Prison Hospitality House and Huntington City Mission.

Laura Michele Diener, director of Women’s Studies, said it is important to learn about female students, but also to be active in the community.

“All of these events and drives are for the community,” Diener said. “It combines activism and academics.”

Marshall’s Women’s Studies Student Association (WSSA) is sponsoring the drive for SAFE.

The items needed for the drive include linens, towels, wash cloths, socks, undergarments, bras, personal hygiene items, toiletries, back packs, school supplies, arts and crafts items, cleaning supplies, jackets and coats. These items can be dropped off in the donation bins at Prichard Hall 143, the Women’s Center or Harris Hall 107, Laura Michele Diener’s office. The donation period ends Friday. All items will be donated to SAFE.

SAFE is a non-profit organization whose mission is to break the cycle of violence and provide shelter for domestic violence victims, homeless women and their children, according to the organization’s website. SAFE is licensed to serve McDowell, Wyoming and Mercer counties.

“SAFE provides a vital function for women who are victims of violence,” Diener said. “Even though we are located in Huntington, we get students from all over the state and in the areas that SAFE serves. These women and their children could be our future students at Marshall.”

Women’s Studies had its first book club meeting of the year Tuesday. The participants read “Orange is the New Black” by Piper Kerman. This book goes along with the Women’s Studies year long emphasis on incarcerated women in America.

Brian DeRouen, director of Alderson House, will speak at 5:30 p.m. Nov. 4 in the Memorial Student Center Room BE5. His lecture will focus on the Alderson Women’s Prison Hospitality House, which supports women of the federal prison.

“Alderson prison is a federal women’s prison in West Virginia,” Diener said. “Even though it is right next door, most people don’t know about it. If they do, most people are thinking about the women inside it. They don’t think about how families and friends are deeply affected by incarceration. The children of the incarcerated are our future neighbors, students and teachers. It is important to think about them now.”

Women’s Studies will also be collecting canned food for The City of Huntington Mission through Nov. 14 to help provide meals for the hungry.

Canned food can be dropped off at the School of Physical Therapy, Harris Hall 107, Center for African American Students, Office of Intercultural Affairs, Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine Office of Diversity 2403P, and the JCESOM Office of Student Affairs on the ground floor of the Byrd Clinical Center.

Aundrea Horsley can be contacted at [email protected].