Meet and INTO Marshall student: Badr Isred

Jared Casto, Reporter

Badr Isreb, an INTO student from Syria, is a Business Administration major working towards his master’s degree. Isreb came to Marshall University after completing his undergraduate degree at Kalamoon University in Syria. The hometown environment of Marshall was a large attraction for Isreb, who wanted to live in a smaller city and enjoyed the greenery around Marshall’s campus. Playing tennis is one of Isreb’s favorite hobbies, along with taking midnight strolls through the city just to see what places look like after dark. After completing his masters’ degree, Isreb plans to move back to Syria to work for his father’s import/export company.

Q: How long have you lived in America?

A: I came here to continue my studies and get my master’s degree. So I should be here for two years. I have been here for one year already.

Q: How do you think you’ve adapted to American culture?

A: There are friendly people here. They accept anyone. If anyone see me, it’s exciting for them to know more about me and be friends with me. So I meet the people here, and I love the American people.

Q: How does Marshall University compare to the college you attended in Syria?

A: Actually, it’s not a big difference. But of course, we have different traditions and culture. Here they have a food system that they don’t have in my country. [In Syria] you pay for your food each time.

Q: What is the biggest difference between Syria and America?

A: Culture and tradition. Here, when I meet people, I’m surprised about their relationships between family. They don’t really have a relationship between each other.

Q: Why did you choose to come to Marshall?

A: I searched for many universities in the U.S.A. before I came. I was caring about the environment… I don’t like big cities because when you come from a different country, you’ll get lost in a big city… I saw Marshall, and I chose it. I love the environment. I love the many green areas.

Q: What are your plans after you graduate?

A: Actually, my father has an import and export company. So after I graduate I’ll go back to my country and work for my father.

Q: How do you keep in contact with your family?

A: By phone or by Internet… My father tried to come here, but he was so busy that he didn’t have a chance to come.

Q: What has been your favorite experience so far?

A: First, talking to people. Presenting myself. I never before had presented myself. In my country everyone knows each other, so it’s not necessary. You make many presentations here, and it’s a big experience to me to have a presentation.

Q: Are you involved with anything extracurricular?

A: I play tennis to enjoy myself. I don’t want to be on the team or anything.

Q: Do you have any other hobbies?

A: I love walking here at midnight and searching place to place.