Career Expo returns to Marshall

Figuring out what to do after college can be a challenge. The Marshall University Career Services Center is hosting a Career Expo from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Tuesday, October 13, in the Don Morris Room of the Memorial Student Center.

The expo will bring in different employers from around the area. Currently, there are more than 95 employers who are registered for the event. Recruiters will be talking to the students about full-time and part-time internships.

Students are expected to bring resumes to the event. Career Services is also offering to help students get their resumes started.

“You need to consider your skills and what you can bring to an employer,” Assistant Director of Development and Outreach, Debby Stoler said about writing resumes. Stoler is also the coordinator of the Career Expo.

“The best thing a student can do to prepare is have what’s called their ’30-second commercial’,” Stoler said.

Stoler said the 30-second commercial is not about saying where you are from, but rather saying who you are. These commercials should include what year students are, what students are majoring in and what students have done with their time at Marshall.

“That gives the company a quick insight on that student and what they have done so they know what their strengths are,” Stoler said. “Once they get that introduction done, that starts a conversation and from that point it is easy to continue to talk.”

It is important to go to the event prepared, that way students can have the opportunity to stand out to employers.

Matthew Prandoni can be contacted at [email protected].