Etiquette dinner to help improve professional skills

Kelly Pate, Reporter

Marshall University Career Services is offering an etiquette dinner at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in room BE5 of the Memorial Student Center.

There is no end to the importance of strong dining skills, and it is no surprise that unless students know how to conduct themselves, one dinner could be disastrous to a reputation. Career Services aims to start students down the path of professional dining as a skill.

Debbie Stoler, assistant director for development and outreach at Career Services, said the purpose of this event is to develop students’ natural professional response in formal situations.

“This dinner will help students who are close to entering the professional world become more aware of how to respond in certain business situations,” Stoler said. “Dining and business etiquette is a big part of landing a career.”

Career Services will not turn anyone away, but said it gives juniors and seniors priority for the dinner because they are closer to entering the professional world.

The dinner will be coordinated by Terri Thompson, owner of Etiquette in Action based out of Paris, Kentucky. Thompson does various etiquette courses across the tri-state.

Stoler said Thompson creates a welcoming atmosphere for attendees of her dinners.

“Terri Thompson has a very good way of making the students feel comfortable while learning,” Stoler said. “The interaction she brings to the room really encourages the students to ask questions without fear of feeling dumb for asking. The students typically leave saying they feel more confident in dining skills, and thank her for teaching them to behave more professionally.”

Sodexo will cater the dinner: a four-course meal including tomato basil soup, garden salad, a chicken entrée and dessert. There will be vegetarian accommodations available upon request.

Students can stop by Career Services to pick up a ticket, which will reserve their spot at the event. There is a $5 registration fee that will be refunded upon attendance.

Kelly Pate can be contacted at [email protected].