Marshall University awarded most LBGTQ friendly campus in West Virginia

Ashley Sodosky

The LGBTQ office is located in room BW-31 of the Memorial Student Center and is the primary safe zone environment for LGBTQ students.

Marshall has been named as the most LBGTQ friendly college campus in West Virginia as part of a national research list found by eCollegeFinder.

It has only been a month since the majority of the Supreme Court ruled in favor of nationwide same-sex marriage. Colleges all over the nation have been making efforts to improve the quality of life for their LBGTQ students, including Marshall, according to eCollegeFinder.

“Marshall University is well on its way towards progressiveness,” stated the site. “The university is making big efforts for change.”

Marshall’s office of Intercultural Affairs is responsible for oversight and programs for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender education and awareness for students. The office, located in the Memorial Student Center, is run by student volunteers and supervising staff.

The organization has implemented the Safe Space program, which is a visibility and awareness-based program ran by the LBGTQ office.

Participants of the program display pink, upside-down triangle Safe Space emblems on their doors letting students know participants do not tolerate discrimination of any kind.  There are over 70 participants on campus.

Associate Vice President for Intercultural Affairs, Maurice R. Cooley, said the Safe Zone program, as well as other programs; including the LGBT Speaker Series and Lending Library, offer new dimensions for students.

“We have worked tremendously hard over the past academic year to embrace students from all backgrounds, including our LGBT community.”

— Maurice R. Cooley

“We have worked tremendously hard over the past academic year to embrace students from all backgrounds, including our LGBT community,” Cooley said.

The LGBTQ organization has hosted many events in past years, including last year’s Speakers Series guests, Erin Davies, Skylar Kergil and Robyn Ochs. The organization also assisted in the Lambda Society Pride Week events including Marriage Day, a Sexuality Workshop and a Luminary Ceremony.

There are many proposed activities for this school year, incorporating more guest speakers and other events for students.

“Marshall is a great environment for all students to grow, learn, and gain acceptance from other, irrespective of our differences,” Cooley said.

Ashley Sodosky can be contacted at [email protected].