Marshall Artists Series presents 78th lineup

Jessica Burford, Reporter

The 78th season of the Marshall Artists Series is titled We Are… Presenting Icons.

The series kicks off by welcoming iconic late night television host and comedian Jay Leno at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 16. This will be his first national comedy tour since leaving The Tonight Show.

Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Franki Valli and The Four Seasons will perform at 7:30 p.m. the following night, Oct. 17.

Angela Jones, Marshall Artists Series marketing director, said it would be advantageous for students to purchase tickets for the Frankie Valli show.

“As a student you are paying activity fees for a variety of things, and these fees do help support the programming we do at the Artists Series,” Jones said. “It’s an opportunity to go see an American legend for very inexpensive. Other people are clamoring to see these artists and are paying top dollar. ”

The Marshall Artists Series, partnered with the Campus Activities Board, will present American Idol winner Phillip Phillips at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 3. Some of his hit songs include “Home,” “Gone, Gone, Gone” and “Raging Fire.”

Jones said Phillips should attract a college-age crowd.

“Phillip Phillips is the average age of a lot of Marshall students,” Jones said. “He’s very young and toured this summer with O.A.R. His opening act for the Marshall Artists Series is Saints of Valory.”

Dancing Pros: Live will hit the stage at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 6. The show, hosted by TV’s Alan Thicke and starring Edyta Sliwinska, Chelsie Hightower and Alec Mazo, is a live dance competition where professionals from Dancing with the Stars and So You Think You Can Dance battle each other. The audience receives electronic voting remotes to choose the winners.

The following week, the Artists Series will present the fall section of its International Film Festival from Nov. 7 to Nov. 13.

The festival, which occurs twice a year, is made up of six films from all over the world. Each movie is shown three times over the course of the week, so there are plenty of opportunities to view them.

Jones said students who receive extra credit for viewing certain films at the festival tend to return.

“Sometimes teachers will provide extra credit, and a lot of students will go for the first time because of this,” Jones said. “A lot of students come back after that because they found that they enjoyed watching the film.”

The film festival is the only event this season that does not require an advanced ticket, but a student I.D. is required for admission.

Right before Thanksgiving, Marshall Artists Series will present “ELF The Musical,” based on the hit movie starring Will Ferrell.

The fall season concludes in December with Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer and West Virginia’s own Kathy Mattea’s Songs of the Season. Rudolf will be performed at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 4. Student tickets are available at noon Nov. 11. Kathy Mattea will perform at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 12. Student tickets are available at noon Dec. 3.

Jones said the December shows provide something for all guests of the Marshall Artists Series.

“It’s the 50th anniversary of Rudolph this year and the first time its ever gone on tour,” Jones said. “And Kathy Mattea is a legend in this state. This is the first time she’s been a part of the Marshall Artist Series, so we are kind of excited for that.”

Jones said it is important students know the student ticket release dates. Jones said it is important students know the student ticket release dates.

“For shows that are going tobe very popular — Jay Leno,

Phillip Phillips, ELF — we have tickets on hold for students that are in a protected state right now,” Jones said. “If somebody

out in the public wants to buy a ticket for Jay Leno, they aren’t going to have access to the tickets that we have for students.”

Student tickets are available at the box office, which is located at the John C. Edwards Performing Arts Center, from

noon to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Full-time students can receivetickets for free with a

student I.D., however, for Jay Leno and Phillip Phillips, there is a $10 service fee. The box office

accepts cash only, so it canbe faster.

Jessica Burford can be contacted at [email protected].

Jay Leno will be performing at the Keith Albee Friday, Oct. 16, 2014 as part of the Marshall Artists Series.