Women’s Studies Program continues search for help

The Marshall University Women’s Studies Program is in need of donations for the Huntington High School clothing drive and Hope Education Recovery (HER) Place dinners.

These local high school students are in need of warmer, particularly larger-sized clothing for the winter. The program is also asking that everyone donate formal clothes for students to wear to their homecoming on Sept. 18.

The Women’s Studies Program also encourages any department on campus to help them supply food for HER Place’s Celebrating Families dinners. Celebrating Families helps children who have one of both parents suffering from substance abuse. Some of these families have been separated and are now back together and in need of help.

““It’s very rewarding to see people change and see what both the parents and kids get out of this.”

— Amy Saunders

The children are reassured that it is not their fault and the parents are given the opportunity to take classes that can teach them life skills. Director of Student Health Education Programs, Amy Saunders, is happy that she can be apart of helping these families in this way.

“It’s very rewarding to see people change and see what both the parents and kids get out of this,” Saunders said.

This 14-week program aids up to 20 families at a time. The families are served simple, family-styled dinners every Thursday during these 14 weeks.

Anyone can help by raising money for catering or ingredients or even just donating foods for these dinners. Contact Amy Saunders or HER Place to help support this cause.

Kabz James can be contacted at [email protected].