Faculty senate meeting addresses several changes to campus programs

More stories from Tyler Ferris

POLICE BLOTTER
April 20, 2015
POLICE BLOTTER
April 13, 2015
POLICE BLOTTER
April 1, 2015

The Marshall University faculty senate met Thursday to vote on campus issues.
The senate passed four recommendations including the approval of the Bachelor’s of Science in mechanical engineering, minor additions in the College of Liberal Arts, and course changes and  additions in the College of Information Technology and Engineering, COLA and  College of Science.
Marshall Interim President Gary White updated the senate on the university’s search for a new president.
“I’m pleased to report that, as of Monday, we had 57 applicants,” White said.  “Of those 5’7′ the search committee met Monday and selected eight individuals for off-campus interviews likely to be the weekend of May 1.”
White elaborated on the committee’s interview process.
“Once those interviews have been conducted, we hope to narrow that list down to four, perhaps three,” White said.  “Those individuals will be invited to campus for an on-campus interview the week of May 17.”
White said he hopes a successful candidate will emerge from that list.
“I think it’s reasonable to assume that a new person will be in place, perhaps July 1,” White said.
White assured attendees the aforementioned list includes gender equality and diversity.
Mary Ellen Heuton, senior vice president for finance, discussed a change in tuition involving online courses.
“The way we’re changing the tuition is currently students who are 100 perecent Huntington campus, but taking some e-courses, pay regular tuition and an e-course tuition,” Heuton said. “It’s very confusing for the students, so basically they will pay regular tuition regardless of the classes.”
Heuton said there is an additional $40 cost for e-course hours.
Tyler Ferris can be contacted at [email protected].