Students donate 33 pints during final blood drive

Raelyn Irick, nursing major at Marshall University, participated in the Chavez Blood Drive benefiting the American Red Cross Wednesday.

Huntington residents and Marshall University students helped save lives Wednesday by participating in an American Red Cross blood drive.
This was the last blood drive of the semester, but the American Red Cross will have opportunities to donate blood in the community.
The Marshall Red Cross assisted at the blood drive and raised 33 pints of blood. The America Red Cross accepts blood donations of all types, but is especially in need of O negative, B negative and A negative.
The Marshall Red Cross, is a student led organization that assists with the blood drives occurring on campus.
“We are shooting for collecting 40 pints from this blood drive,” said Ashley Peacock, secretary and treasurer of Marshall Red Cross. “The last drive we had we were a little short of our goal, and I think donating blood is something a lot of people can do, and it doesn’t take a lot from them, but it can save lives.”
Heather Ryan, political science major, said she puts her fear aside for the good cause.
“My twin sister and I usually always come to the blood drives that occur every two months,” Ryan said. “We are both scared of needles but we put that aside, and it is a good way to get us involved in the community and come out and do something for someone else.”
Huntington resident Tom Wilson said he participates in blood drives regularly.
“I donate blood regularly because it is a necessity to give blood to those who need it, and you may never know when you may need blood,” Wilson said. “I have been donating blood since I was in college, which is nearly 50 years ago.”
Wilson said it is more than just helping the community.
“It is the thought of providing a very necessary commodity, if you will, to sustain life,” Wilson said.
Erika Johnk can be contacted at [email protected].