Interim President White attends Dr. Suess reading for children

Courtesy of University Communications

Interim President Gary White and the children pose with a picture the children drew of the Memorial Student Center fountain.

Marshall University Interim President Gary White and his wife Jo Ann attended a Dr. Seuss read-aloud event at the campus bookstore, reading to approximately 20 children.
Courtney Vance-Joseph, the bookstore’s general merchandising manager, said the event went very well.
“The president and his wife both seemed to enjoy the event, and so did the kids,” Vance-Joseph said. “It was very successful, and we hope to do something related to Dr. Seuss again in the future.”
Marshall basketball players, cheerleaders and the university mascot Marco were at the event.
“I think it was awesome that some members from our athletic department and the president’s office were both able to come down and see these children,” Vance-Joseph said. “I think it’s so important to get kids involved with campus life because who knows, this may be where they decide to attend college in the future.”
White also visited the children at Marshall’s Early Education Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Center, which is a prekindergarten class offered on campus.
He was greeted with a welcome banner and a portrait of the Memorial Fountain painted by the children.
Studio Educator Kandace Duggan said it was a long process, but well worth the effort.“The children wanted to offer the new president with a gift,” Duggan said. “So, we started to show them pictures of different people on campus such as cheerleaders or Marco, and then we also showed them picture of different landmarks. Everyone finally took a vote and decided to paint a canvas portrait of the memorial fountain. The amazing part was that the students didn’t even know the story of the fountain, so President White got down and told them the entire story and the significance of that landmark. They were all very respectful during the story.”
Duggan said when the visit ended, the children said goodbye to White with a hug.
White extended an open invitation to the STEM Center for future visitations.
“It was a wonderful visit last week,” Duggan said. “So, we will definitely consider taking the kids over to his office for a field trip in the future. It’s part of our curriculum to ask the students what they want to do or present a new idea to them, so I’m sure they would love to do something like that.”
Duggan said she cannot wait to see what ideas the children come up with to greet Marshall’s next president in the fall semester.
Amy Napier can be contacted at [email protected].